Every trucking company that operates with large commercial vehicles, or is paid to transport goods or property in their vehicle needs a motor carrier permit. This permit is evidence that they have met all the requirements to carry out commercial operations. A motor carrier authority is a permit given by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to commercial vehicles to transport goods on public roads. 

The permit contains all the motor carrier information such as expiring date, name, effective date, mailing address, and many more. Getting an MC Authority can be time-consuming and hectic considering the filling process and a bunch of documents to submit. With Global Multi Services, you don’t need to worry about all the registration processing. We will help you get your permit without lifting a finger. 

Who Is Eligible For An MC Authority?

The following people or vehicle are eligible for a motor carrier permit 

  • If you offer courier services or an entity paid to transport goods or properties on the commercial road no matter the size, brand, weight of your vehicle. 
  • If your vehicle has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of ten thousand pounds and above and its use either for private or commercial use. 
  • If you have a vehicle or combinations of vehicles that are used for transporting hazardous materials. 
  • If you are operating a truck, auxiliary dollies, trailer, logging dollies, semi-trailers, or their combination and they are more than 40ft in length when combined. 
  • If you are operating a motor vehicle or a combination of trailers and a motor vehicle which operations require a commercial driver’s license. 

Who Is Not Eligible For An MC Authority?

The following people or vehicle are not eligible for motor carrier permits 

  • Vehicles used for carrying passengers or household goods as defined in Section 1509 of the Public Utilities Code. This is because this vehicle operates under the authority of the Public Utilities Commission. 
  • Household goods carrier vehicles used for transporting institutional furniture and fixtures, used office, stores, and others which are operating under the household goods carrier permit issued pursuant according to Section 5137 of the Public Utilities Commission. 
  • If you operate pickup trucks whose GVWR is less than 11,500 pounds, equipped with a box-type bed that is not more than 9ft in length and has an unladen weight that is less than 8,001 pounds when it is operated in a noncommercial manner. 
  • If you are operating a utility trailer, trailer coaches, or camp trailer. 
  • If you have a vehicle that provides transportation for only passengers and their baggage. 
  • If your vehicle is only for personal use but its GVWR is ten thousand pounds or less. 
  • If your vehicle is exempt from vehicle registration fees.
  • If you are operating Two-axle daily rental trucks with a GVWR that is less than 26,001 pounds when it is operated in a noncommercial manner. 
  • If you are operating two-axle truck tractors or motor trucks whose GVWR is less than 26,001 pounds alone or used to tow a utility trailer, a fifth-wheel travel trailer, a camp, or a trailer used for transporting watercraft and has never operated commercially. 

How Can You Apply For A Motor carrier Authority?

You need to first apply for a motor carrier permit before you begin operating as a new carrier. This can be achieved by applying online or via mail. You can also contact Global Multi Services for help if you want a hassle-free process. Here are the documents you need to apply via email. 

  • Your proof of insurance 
  • Your worker’s compensation insurance proof
  • A valid Requester Code issued by the Employer Pull Notice Programmer. This is mandatory if the driver you employ has Commercial Class A, B, or C driver’s license with hazardous materials. 
  • Complete the PDF form application for Motor Carrier Permit. 
  • Pay the Motor Carrier Permit application fee


Dot Number and Motor Carrier (MC) Numbers are prerequisites to starting your own trucking company. However, most people find these two regulations too complex to understand. They are unable to figure out if their company needs one, both, or none as getting something that we don’t need can waste our money. If you’re also trying to determine what you really need, you need to follow these general rules:

  • For interstate commerce, you need both the DOT Number and the MC Number.
  • For intrastate commerce, you need only a DOT Number.
  • To haul your own property or construction equipment, you need only a DOT Number.
  • To haul someone else’s property while working for hire, you need DOT as well as MC Number.

What is a DOT Number?

A DOT Number serves as a driver’s license for your trucking company. It is often used to verify that you’re commercially using a vehicle to haul your own products or move equipment with a qualified CMV.

What is an MC Number?

MC Number or operating authority is required if you are planning to work-for-hire in interstate commerce or haul hazardous products.

The MC Number is more expensive as compared to the DOT Number.

There are various types of trucking authority, including:
  • Motor Carrier of Household Goods
  • Motor Carrier of Property
  • Broker of Household Goods
  • Broker of Property

Since FMSCA doesn’t offer refunds in case you apply for the wrong authority type, it may cost you a lot. So, you must consult with experts to figure out the kind of authority you require.

Final Words

Not knowing the differences between DOT and MC can trouble your trucking company. A plethora of rules and exceptions make it hard for owners to determine whether to get a USDOT Number, an MC Number, or both.

If you want to get rid of your doubts and get these numbers, approach the experts of Global Multi Services. We can help you get what your business needs and save your money significantly.