Trucking companies are required to have a United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) number affixed to the sides of their trucks. Motor carriers must obtain these numbers before they can transport freight within the state. New companies or carriers also must apply for one before sending motor carriers out on the road. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration requires all entities to update the number every two years via MCS-150 filing. Read on as Global Multi Services, a company that helps file MCS-150 Renewal, explains how to file MCS-150 Updates. Let us dive in.
What is MCS-150 Form?
An MCS-150 form is a standard form filed by motor carriers to update USDOT numbers. It gives the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration important information about your fleet operations and company to ensures the data available is current and accurate. The FMCSA also uses the form to calculate your safety performance within CSA’s Behavior Analysis and Safety Improvement Categories.
Importance of MCS-150
- Use for analyzing the safety performance of motor carriers.
- The updated information helps in keeping motor carrier accurate information.
- MC-150 filing allows commercial trucks to operate interstate and intrastate without any disruption.
- It helps trucking companies stay in compliance.
- It enhances the safety of motor carriers on the road.
- Data obtained from MCS-150 are for calculating safety scores based on the new safety measurement system, Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA).
- To recognize motor carriers with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration noncompliance.
How to check MC-150 status
The information can be access by using your trucking company USDOT PIN. You cannot check the MCS-150 form status without having your PIN. are you worried because you cannot find your PIN? Contact the experts at Global Multi Services. We will help you find solutions to the problem.
How to File MCS-150
There are two options for filing the USDOT Number. They include:
- All applicants must print the required form before completing the online forms.
- Visit the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Online. Registration System to complete and submit application forms.
- After submission, FMCSA will issue a USDOT Number for the trucking company.
Trucking companies are encouraged to use the electronic online update process because it has built-in edit checks. Simple yes-and-no questions are also available for easy and accurate application completion.
Filing by Mail or Fax
- Applicants must print all required forms and mail them to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration office.
- Mailed applications often take four to six weeks of processing time.
- FMCSA will send a USDOT Number to the trucking company after approval.
- Trucking companies should generate and print the updated MCS-150 report.
When to file MCS-150
The second to last number in your USDOT Number determine what year to file for the MCS-150 update. You need to file for MCS-150 every odd-numbered calendar year if the number is odd and every even-numbered calendar year if it is even. The last number in your USDOT Number determines what month to file your biennial update.