Oregon Permit Archives - Page 2 of 3 - Global Multiservices

The trucking industry is one of the most regulated industries in the United State and each state has its requirements. Before you start operating as a trucking company, there are numerous government and state requirements you need to meet. You will also register and renew some legal documents every year depending on your base state and type of business. With truckers moving more than 70% of the nation’s freight each year, it’s no doubt the trucking industry is one of the fastest-growing industries in the country. Taking advantage of this growing industry is a smart decision but the hardest part is obtaining the necessary license and permits such as the Oregon Permit, Oregon Filing, and many more.

Navigating your way through this process can be difficult but it is achievable with the right guide. Read on as Global Multi Services takes us through the import permit and license needed to start a trucking company and obtain Oregon Permit.

Commercial Driver’s License

All the company’s truck drivers must have a valid commercial driver’s license. CDLs testing standards vary from state to state. Therefore, you need to do your research or get a manual from the Department of Motor Vehicles office in your state to know their requirements. The requirements of obtaining a commercial driver’s license include the following

  • You must be above twenty-one years to drive a truck
  • Extensive background check
  • A written permit exam
  • A driving training and test.

Oregon Permit

USDOT And Motor Carrier Number

The USDOT number is an identification number issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to motor carriers. It is used to track the motor carrier safety records and other important information regarding compliance. The Motor Carrier Number is an interstate authority given to trucking companies by the FMCSA to haul freight across different states.

It also indicates the type of trucking business you operate and the types of goods you are permitted to transport. Both numbers can be obtained by registering with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

UCR And IRP Registration

The Unified Carrier Registration is a registration mandated by the federal government for individual and trucking companies that operate interstate commerce. They are to pay an annual registration fee based on the total number of vehicles in the fleet. To register for UCR and also get an Oregon Permit, you need your company’s Motor Carrier and USDOT number.

The International Registration Plate is an agreement between the forty-eight states in the US and ten provinces in Canada that allows qualified motor carriers to travel across member jurisdictions with a single license plate. The motor carrier registers for IRP in their base state and pays apportionable fees quarterly.  This payment is calculated based on the miles traveled by truck in each member state.

IFTA Registration

The International Fuel Tax Agreement is an agreement between forty-eight states in the US and ten provinces in Canada. The agreement allows motor carriers operating interstate to report and pay fuel taxes across all member states using a single fuel tax license. The fuel tax register is paid to the base state which distributes it to the other states. With IFTA registration, trucking companies can process Oregon filing and Oregon Permits.

As the United States of America is completely federal in nature, the states are allowed to make their own laws and jurisdictions, subject to the citizens of their states along with the trade and commerce of their states. Taking advantage of such rights, the state of Oregon has constituted its own trucking permits, and the commercial vehicles operating in the state of Oregon, either interstate or intrastate, have to comply with the state’s decree and must get the Oregon Trucking Permit. In this blog, I am going to share with you the key points of Oregon Trucking Permit, tell you why it is essential, and many more.

Oregon Trucking Permit

Those who have to pay Weight-mile Tax

ODOT or the Oregon Department of Transportation mandates those intrastate and interstate travelers, to pay and report highway-use taxes, who travel within state or from Oregon to other states for commercial purposes, and have a gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 lbs. The ODOT also statutes those who don’t own tax to file for the Oregon DOT Plates or Oregon Weight and Tax Identifiers, and In case you fail to do so, an ODOT could even suspend your account. But there are exceptions as well. Like vehicles operating for the government, private and off road vehicles, and at last those vehicles operating for farm purposes are exempted to pay the ODOT Weight-mile tax. But the exempted operations could be subject to state fuel tax. The following categories are required to pay the ODOT taxes.

Oregon Intrastate Motor Carrier Authority

Those commercially operating drivers or vehicles, like pickup trucks, vans, trucks, and trailers, semi-tractors, that travel within and under the borders of the Oregon state are authorized to register for the Oregon Motor Carrier Authority. And do not get confused with the term Oregon Motor Carrier Authority, it is one of the names of ODOT.

Private Carriers with Gross weight or Combined Gross weight of 26,001 lbs or above

Now those private carriers that are maneuvering their own product within the borders of Oregon state in vehicles like Van, pickup trucks, semi-tractors, and trucks and trailer are obligated to register with the ODOT or Oregon Motor Carriers Authority if the gross vehicle weight of their vehicle is 26,001 lbs or above. As a private carrier, it is not necessary for you to register for the Oregon-intrastate Motor Carrier Authority but you have to comply with financial responsibilities.

And the above-mentioned vehicles are also needed to register for the Oregon Weight-Distance Tax if they have a vehicle having a gross weight of 26,001 lbs or above.

For-Hire Carrier

If you are a mover or owns a moving company and operates within the borders of Oregon state, for commercial reasons, your van, truck trailer, semi-tractors, and other prior mentioned vehicles are required to register for the Oregon Intrastate Motor Carrier Authority. Plus those vehicles which have a gross vehicle weight of, 10,000 lbs or 10,001 lbs and more, along with the product weight, have to carry a minimum of $ 300,000 and $750,000, respectively, as personal liability or Property Damage Liability Insurance.

Those Crossing Oregon State lines For commercial Purposes

Those vehicles which haul out of the state borders for commercial purposes, and even the private carriers, have to register for the USDOT Number and Unified Carrier Registration Process. But the vehicles which have a gross weight of fewer than 26,000 lbs, or less than 2 axles, are not required to register for IRP License Plate or IFTA Fuel Tax. And those vehicles that weigh more than 10,000 lbs, along with more than 3 axles, have to register for the IRP License Plate, IFTA Fuel Tax, and Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Process.


In this blog, I have provided all the information regarding the Oregon Permits, but there is still much more to know and for that, I would suggest you refer to Global Multi Services.